Friday 13 October 2017

Santa Claus is coming to town

IMG_3109

I have to hold my hands up right now and confess, 95% of the decorating I do at Christmas is for me, not my children, not my visitors, but me. I love to create a winter wonderland and my discovery of the Tilda Dolls last year took this magic to a whole new level.

Last year I made a beautiful Tilda Santa complete with traditional red velvet coat and white fur trimming. He was a joy to make, but he seemed a bit lonely. So earlier this year I made a wonderful fur polar bear from the book Tildas Winter Delights, there are several sizes and I have already had demands for a tiny one from my girls. Then I found out that alongside the new Cottage Collection Tilda were releasing a Patchwork Santa Kit.

IMG_3123

I couldn't resist, Patchwork AND Christmas all in one Santa? Yes please!

The kit comes with everything you need to make the Santa (except wadding and Stuffing, more on that in a minute). It has complete illustrated step by step instructions that cover the construction of the doll and the patchwork coat. You are of course free to make you own tweaks to the design and the kit comes with a generous amount of fabric so that you can add any extra accessories you may wish - miniature patchwork santa sack anyone?!

IMG_3124

I found the doll pretty easy to make over a couple of days. There are a few fiddly tasks, like turning and stuffing the thin legs and arms, here I found the wooden stick provided in the kit very helpful. I also found holding the legs and arms in place whilst trying to sew them to the body a little awkward, but my Clover appliqué pins were very useful. Their tiny size means you can put a few in that you just wouldn't have room for with normal pins. I also found Gutermann Hand Quilting thread great for attaching the limbs, it has the extra strength you need to be able to put quite a lot of tension on the thread without breaking and attaches the limbs securely.

IMG_3122

My previous Tilda doll had taught me that standard wadding like the kind I use in my quilts just won't work for the doll clothing. Despite being low loft quilters wadding it was just too dense and thick for the tiny seams and particularly the underarm area, causing puckering no matter how much clipping of the seam I did. This time I tried Vlieseline's Thin Fleece 248 which is an incredibly lightweight and low volume batting.

IMG_3126

It was the perfect match! I am so glad I found this and I will certainly be using it for all my future Tilda Dolls, alongside the Deco-Wadding also from Vlieseline which is my absolute favourite doll stuffing. It is so fine you don't get the lumpiness you sometimes run the risk of with cheap poly stuffing.

  IMG_3115

Because the kit came with such a generous amount of fabric I was lucky enough with some savvy cutting to have quite a bit left. I couldn't resist using the leftover 'doll skin' fabric to make a couple of cute reindeer. I used the free pattern on the Tildas World Blog for the Tiny Egg Hares  and just added some little stick antlers. There is a pattern for large reindeer in the book Homemade and Happy but I think these tiny ones are adorable and will look wonderful tucked away around the house at Christmas.
IMG_3127

I didn't make many changes to the original design of the Patchwork Santa, I just added a little bell on the end of his hat and some little bows on his socks/boots.

IMG_3119


SaveSave IMG_3121

The Kit and fabrics used were supplied by Groves Ltd and stockist enquiries can be made by contacting them at groves@stockistenquiries.co.uk where they will be happy to assist you. The wide range of Vlieseline products can be found at Lady Sew and Sew.

I hope I have inspired you to have a go at doll making, after all they are not just for children, or indeed just for Christmas! When they are this beautiful you want to enjoy them year round and the fabulous kits mean you can have all the supplies you need in one easy purchase. In the mean time I am off to work on another Santa that I am part way through, this time he has a lot of intricate needle turn appliqué adorning his coat....I know, I'll be able to hold the Annual Tilda Santa convention soon ;-)

2 comments:

Kay said...

Absolutely beautiful. It already has an heirloom quality about it. x

LiAn Gemstone said...

vòng tay đá mã não
Giới thiệu về đá mã não:
Vòng mã não được chế tác từ đá mã não, là biến thể của đá thạch anh,thuộc nhóm chalcedony nhưng mã não có chất lượng ngọc và đá rất dai, vì thế thành phẩm sau khi chế tác rất bóng, mịn và đẹp.
Đá mã não là đá đa sắc từ xanh, vàng, trắng đến đỏ, cam nên vòng mã não hợp với tất cả các
mệnh, chỉ cần bạn chọn đúng màu của mệnh tương sinh ra mệnh mình hoặc màu của bản mệnh.
Mã não được hình thành trong tất cả các môi trường khoáng vật, nhưng thường được tìm thấy nhiều nhất trong đá núi lửa.
Ở Việt Nam đá mã não xuất hiện nhiều nhất là ở các tỉnh Đắk Lăk, Đắk Nông, Lâm đồng, Phú yên….
Đeo vòng tay mã não có tác dụng gì?
- Vòng mã não chính là biểu trưng của sức khỏe, sự trường thọ và sự hưng thịnh
- Năng lượng từ đá mã não giúp cân bằng và hài hòa cơ thể, loại bỏ sự tiêu cực. Giúp giữ cho bạn cảm hứng, động lực, sáng tạo hiệu quả, có tác dụng rất lớn đến sức khỏe của người sử dụng.
Nam giới đeo vòng tay đá mã não sẽ giúp họ trở nên tự tin, lịch lãm hơn trong mắt phái nữ.
Hạn chế các bệnh về dạ dày, hô hấp, hệ tiêu hóa, …
Cách nhận biết vòng tay mã não thật và giả
Vòng tay đá mã não thật khi chạm vào sẽ có cảm giác mát lạnh và độ lạnh giảm dần về sau. Tiếp theo là nói đến vân đá, vì là đá tự nhiên nên mỗi vòng sẽ có vân đá khác nhau, không mẫu nào giống mẫu nào.
Vòng tay đá mã não giả thường dễ vỡ, đeo một thời gian sẽ bị mất màu và mã não giả các đường vân của chúng thường giống hệt nhau.