Tuesday 28 August 2012

Out with the old.....

......and in with the new!

I have been sat in my sewing room in a general state of shock for a few days because I brought myself an early birthday present!


Ever since my numerous problems with my Pfaff earlier this year I have been saving and saving and saving....like mad! Then the lovely Kerry mentioned she had cause to sell her 'old' machine last month I hoped and prayed I would have enough.

I was a little short but she is so kind as she waited for me whilst I sold most of our family possessions off at car boot sales and on ebay to make up the shortfall! I made it, although we may be having bread and water for the next month as I might have used a little of the grocery money, ahem.

Even though I have been working hard to buy this for months I still cannot believe that it is mine, it is so shiny and new, has a little computer screen and beeps and talks to me, it is amazing. I'll let you know what I think of it when I have mastered more than a straight stitch! And yes, I am hoping that some of it's previous owners skill may rub off on me ;-)

I did put it through its paces with something I've been waiting to do for ages, the templates have been printed off for weeks now!

Wheel of Liberty

Yes, using more of my Liberty stash! I have decided to make a little mini with 4 blocks, I need 3 more and I can't think of what to do.....I only have very small pieces of Liberty  and I'd like as much neutral space in the blocks as in the circle of geese...any suggestions?

Uncharacteristically for me I abandoned that little project because of my indecision and hopped straight onto another new one!


I finally started on my Aneela quilt blocks, yay! I had/have no real plan for this quilt other than to use all 4 of the lines already out. I decided not to include Cherry Christmas, as adorable as it is (and I have to get some, no question) I wanted this to be a year round quilt.

The top row of the quilt will be 4 blocks (3 pictured above) each with an embroidery in the centre, the bottom row of the quilt (all 4 pictured above) will be the same block design but with a feature fabric from each line as the centre panel.

I will make another 8 blocks (2 more rows) in random block designs, a bit of a sampler I think. I have used all the Sew Stitchy scraps up so I am debating whether to get a charm pack so I can do 2  blocks in each line for the final 8....I am worried it won't have the balance I am after if I don't......lets hope I get some birthday money tomorrow, I know what it'll be going on!


I didn't need any birthday money to get this little gem today....50pence in the charity shop!


I had seen it last week for £1.50 and wondered if it might be useful for storing my spools of thread on, the basket I was using was a nightmare, getting all tangled every time I rummaged through it. When I saw it was reduced to 50 pence I snapped it up! I think it will be getting a lick of paint soon, for now I am just pleased to gaze at my neat spools, when I am not staring dreamily at my new machine that is.......

12 comments:

Isisjem said...

I need to go sewing machine shopping too - I can pretty much only do a straight stitch and a zig zag no quilting or anything fancy on my old machine :-(

Indianna said...

Ohhh hope your new machine behaves though I guess it has been well trained. I love raiding charity shops too - amaizing what can be found.

Sarah said...

Oh that's great! Hope you and new machine will be BFF's :-) Loving the Aneela Quilt

Nat at Made in Home said...

Looks like an amazing machine!

Canadian Abroad said...

Eeeek! So pleased you have a sleek new (to you) machine. Fabulous news. Enjoy! And have a wonderful birthday.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Oh I am so happy you have a new and famously used machine from Kerry - there'll be no stopping you now!

Love all your blocks, and your circle of geese is the business; just make 3 more, they will look stunning xxx

Celtic Thistle said...

Bread, water and gorgeous quilts - what more could a family want? Enjoy your all singing, all dancing machine :)

linda said...

loving the blocks and the new chatty machine well ...............gorgeous made me laugh when you said about selling all your stuff :))))to get it bet it sews a dream !!

Katy Cameron said...

Aww, enjoy your new toy! I was lucky enough to be able to pay my machine off in instalments, but yes, luxuries were off the menu for the 8 months I was doing it lol

Cherie said...

Yay for the new machine I hope to hear some updates soon.
The flying geese look cool, though I'm not a huge fan of the prints myself.
The Aneela quilt is looking good so far. Such a cute shelf! So great what you can find in a charity shop =D

Unknown said...

Fab, its great getting new toys!
Love your flying geese, I have about 20 fat eights of liberty prints and still haven't found that project to use them on, this one is great. Kx

verykerryberry said...

It looks very happy in its new home! And happy belated birthday too! just read your birthday post!