Saturday 9 June 2012

The one where I bodge it!

So far I have been loving taking part in the Zakka Style Sew Along. All the projects in the book are lovely and it is great to have the extra motivation to get it done in a week. I also like that I have been pushing myself to try projects that are a little more involved, that perhaps I would normally take a miss on because I like getting things done quickly.

This week has tested me! I can honestly say this weeks project was the hardest thing I have ever made! It was frustrating because all the techniques are ones I am familiar with. I think it was my choice of zippers that made it a chore! Putting the metal zip in the back was no bother and I LOVE the effect, lovely shiny brass zips are my FAVE at the moment. But I didn't have the required 20" zipper so decided I would use a chunky double ended coat type zip that I had lying around. I actually liked the chunky-ness of it, I soon ate my words thoughts! Trying the tease the zip into the binding wasn't going to work with those big teeth, then I cut the zip to length too early and too short and it all came apart! After a lot of cursing, sweating and pulling I got the zip back together and I ended up having to make a little tab to go on the opposite end of the big tab to stop the whole zip falling to pieces.


I thought I was on the home straight, just the binding to do, but then alas I trimmed it too short and couldn't join me ends together ...AAAARRRGHHHH!! In the end I just overlapped them and sewed it down. I have got a raw edge showing on the binding and I HATE it, it will bug me but I am hoping the perseverance and work that I put into the organiser will MAKE me use it and not notice the faults!






Thank goodness next week is the tweed purse - chunky metal zip and tweed - SWOON! Can.not.wait!

14 comments:

Jenelle said...

It looks great! I hate joining binding btw. Even when I seem to follow the correct steps, it's always a huge PITA. You could try sewing a tab of decorative ribbon or twill tape over the exposed seam if it really bothers you.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

It looks lovely - but I know how you feel when stuff goes wrong and you get the niggles :(

I was going to try one of these tomorrow, but I think I might not use my favourite fabrics just in case xxx

Katy Cameron said...

Oh bugger! I'm not sure if I'm going to tackle this one or not, but it definitely won't be in time for the deadline this week as I'm off to a fabric printing class tomorrow :o)

Canadian Abroad said...

If it is any consolation, it looks fabulous and none of the mistakes are visible.

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

It was a difficult one for me too - even with the amazing Spotted Stones tips and encouragement! Love your fabric - I bought the same but in the red/ orange/ purple/ mustard colourway. Wish I had bought the grey one too - it looks fab as your zip organiser :)

Cherie said...

That turned out great! Awesome job on sticking with it. Try some hemming web to seal down the raw edge =D

I'm having a giveaway on my blog. There is one extra day to enter =D
http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/official-150th-post-giveaway.html

Sarah said...

I hope you do use it, it looks great to me. I am with you on the chunky zip, looks sooo cool.. and that fabric! Love it.

jen said...

I love what you did with this! It looks great!

Finding Fifth said...

and I was just thinking how greatthe chunky zip looked on this pouch. Full marks for trying a really difficult project and making it look so lovely though Emily. Your fabric choice is a real winner. I am still at the cutting stage for this one and feeling even more intimidated every post I read.

mammafairy said...

This looks lovely!

It may help in future- or may not- If you have enough binding to just turn over one end so the raw edge doesn't show, you may feel happier with it.
In your pictures it just looks super. I feel a tad jealous with all these lovely Zakka things going on, and love reading about them, keep it up, please

Celtic Thistle said...

Your organiser looks great, despite all the problems you had. I love your fabric and the metal zip really sets it off. I have cut out my fabric for this and I'm hoping to tackle it today, fingers crossed it will turn out looking as well as yours!

Catherine said...

I love that fabric and it looks to me as though it has turned out great. well done for persevering

The Patchsmith said...

Well done for sticking with it and finishing it. I agree - it was the hardest project so far. But it all turned out lovely in the end.

Isisjem said...

It does look great though!