Wednesday 13 June 2012

Zakka Tweed Pouch How I Love Thee!

Swoon! This is by a mile my most favourite project from the Zakka book so far. I don't really tend to read ahead in the book (which is silly because then I rush to get the supplies but I love the surprise!) but I did flick through and saw this one some weeks ago and have been waiting for it to come around ever since!


I have had a very lovely but very long M&S tweed skirt in my altering cupboard for months now, it was a bargain 50pence at my local charity shop and it just needed shortening, so I am not sure why it spent so long in the cupboard?! Anyway, I am glad it did because I used the extra length to make up the pouch!


I love this little project, it is so 'me' I used up some tiny scraps of my favourite prints that I have been saving to make the hexi's. That was the last little hedgehog, if anyone knows what line it is I'd be really grateful of the information.

I also used my new Metro Circles that Cindy from Fluffy Sheep Quilting delivered to me at the FQR. I have been wanting some of this for ages now, usually when I really want something and finally get my hands on some it sits in the fabric cupboard becoming more and more precious! Not this one, it barely had time to get fold creases before I whipped it back out!

My 9" zipper (as advised in the book) was too short (perhaps my local habby lady cannot read the box labels?! I love it in there, they still have old wooden drawers with all the habby in and you have to ask for it. Anyway I took her word and didn't measure it, so decided I would add some zipper tabs in Metro Circles again to lengthen it.


I used my new Aurifil Wool Thread in orange to top stitch the zip and corner details, thank you Kelly!

Not having any fusible fleece I simply used cotton quilt batting, I do wish I had interfaced it too as I prefer a firm pouch (Oooerr!) but never mind, I still LOVE it! 

Since the retreat I have been feeling a little low, I think a lot of us have, inevitable really after all the excitement. But I also felt that really I was a bit of a slap dash amateur compared to all the amazing people at the retreat. This wasn't helped by quite a few projects going awry since I got home. I am so glad I found time to make this little pouch despite a very busy week, it has really made me happy again and a little more confident in my ability! 

I think I can safely say I now have zippered pouches down to a T, time to move onto something else that I struggle with......where to start?!"



16 comments:

Deborah said...

This is really lovely! I can see this design translating easily to a metal frame purse!! :o)

Canadian Abroad said...

Slap dash amateur??? I think not!!

Isisjem said...

I don't think your work looks slapdash amateur. I know a lot of people were a bit in awe of the talent at the retreat. Ironically not going has made me more inspired. Especially when I met up with Katy as I got to see what she'd made in class and just feeding off all the excitement has really inspired me.

Katy Cameron said...

Very cute, love it! And no, definitely not slapdash amateur young lady!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

It looks bloody amazing to me!! Do you think my hubby would miss a couple of patches snipped from the back of some jackets!

Cindy said...

How fun! What a fantastic zippy! I love, love, love the orange with the grey. Great color combo.

Unknown said...

It's a great pouch! Love the tweed look! The hedgehog print is Hedgehog Medow by Michael miller... I think! It comes in aqua too. It's an old line, but you can still find it on etsy, again, I think... :-)

Cherie said...

Great looking pouch! Way to recycle some fabric from an old skirt. the hexies are so cute! =D

Sarah said...

Oh tosh, woman!! Your work is really lovely, I know that for fact as I sit with a beautiful cushion at my elbow every day. Hardly a day goes by I dont look at it and think "damn, wish I could do the hidden zipper and FMQ neat, legible writing...
I love your tweedy pouch too, the orange really lifts it :-) Fab!

Leanne said...

Your pouch is lovely, that orange topstitching is such a perfect detail. And the hexies are too cute.

Run Quilt Knit Write said...

It's great Emily! Now we need to see you in the shortened skirt! I've been giving my wardrobe the chop this morning - and feel like I've got a whole new lot of clothes!!

Celtic Thistle said...

Your hexies are really cute, the pouch looks very professional!

Debbie said...

oh your zippy caught my eye right away in the flickr pool - LOVE it! So many perfect details, and you used my fav metro circles....Swoon is a perfect description!

Amy DeCesare said...

I love it even more, now that you've shared the story behind it. Nothing like a little masterpiece of creativity to lift you up, huh? It's totally adorable, and you've really done a terrific job on it!

Nicky said...

I am sorry Emily but you are TOTALLY WRONG! I have seen your work and it is anything but slap dash! I love all the things you have made me to a very high standard I'd say! Get rid of those glasses or mirror and start seeing what we see a beautiful and highly talented young lady! Oooh you get me cross! : D

{Leila}Where the Orchids Grow said...

Such a cute pouch! You did an excellent job on this!