Tuesday 19 June 2012

Whoops missed my blogversairy!

Oh dear, whoops! Little bit of an anti-climax was my blogversairy, so busy working on VIP's (very important projects) was I that I completely missed it! Still, sewing had to be the best way to celebrate it!

Hmm, a little disappointed nobody sent cake ;-)


For anyone who is interested it all started a year ago on the 17th June with this post. I am amazed daily by the kindness and support of the online quilting community and so honoured to call some of these wonderful people my friends *grin*. Had you told me a year ago that I would be going to London for a weekend of sewing with these talented bloggers I would never have believed you!

Thanks to each and every single one of you for reading my ramblings, giving kind and encouraging words and telling me off and giving me a kick when I need it, ahem Nicky ;-) I actually love you all, you make me a better, stronger more adventurous person and I wouldn't be where I am now without you (although my husband may have something to say to you about the amount of time I spend in my studio now!!)

Anyway, what have I been so busy on? Well killing two birds with one stone (there is a pun there, honest, you'll get it in a while!) I have been working on the last two outstanding items on my FAL list. My mother in laws birthday is this weekend and I wanted to make her something VERY special because she is special. Without her help I wouldn't have been able to come to London and I love her so much. BUT I can't show you for fear she will see it, you will have to wait until next week!

So the other item on the list was to do  my Birdie Stitches block for July. You may have read before now that I have a love/hate relationship with these birdies (read as hate!) So I decided I was going to do something about these annoying little blighter's, see the pun now??!!


Yep that's right I decided to get rid of these winged creatures of torture by finishing the quilt top! I still hate it AND with over a years build up to the quilting I.AM.DREADING.IT! Not least because I managed to make the quilt grow in size a good several inches by adding what is becoming my signature scrappy and white boarders. I also have a very sneaking suspicion that in my haste to get it done and over the top is now less than flat and is going to be a b***er to baste and quilt without getting puckers. Oh listen to me, what a whiner! 

I think deep down I do love it really, this was the first big project/qal I joined in with when I started blogging, I was also the third ever quilt I started making (it is all Cindy's fault btw, I saw her sewing along and had to join in!)




In other news, seeing as the big day is passed I can show you what I made my Dad for fathers day. I used up a remnant from Juliette's old blackout blind, an odd shoelace and a toggle (hehe for presents from rubbish!) to make him a shoe bag for his running shoes. 



I printed off a line drawing of some running shoes, transferred it onto the material and free machine embroidered it. I am still having trouble with the heat transfer pencil, it did work a little here, but I couldn't hold the iron on any longer or the fabric would have melted! And due to the waterproof/blackout coating I couldn't put it upto a light source and trace it. Still, I think they do look like running shoes. Dad was pleased with it at least, he sent me a comment on facebook hahaha ;-)



As for my husband, I didn't make him anything, not because I am mean but because we have enough handmade stuff around the house and I didn't think he'd like a zippy pouch or cushion lol! So I made him a very special lunch instead. A day out on Dartmoor with banger sandwiches cooked al fresco, we had a wonderful day indeed :-)



22 comments:

Isisjem said...

Happy Blogiversary I was two on Saturday. I forgot to mention it until yesterday - which is prob why I didn't get cake either ;-)

Canadian Abroad said...

Congratulations on one year. So happy you joined in as it wouldn't be the same without you. And that gift for your dad is brilliantly well done!

Celtic Thistle said...

Happy Blogiversary, I'll bet the year has just flown by!

Your Birdie stitches quilt looks really lovely, the scrappy border really sets it off.

Love the running stitches machine embroidery too!

Sarah said...

OMG I think I recognise that wee stream!! I used to go to Devon for the summer when I was a kid and the highlights were always picnics on dartmoor... Sooo jealous!!!!
Very happy bloggyversary xxx And those trainers look fab! Very talented with the Free motion missus!

Run Quilt Knit Write said...

Congratulations! Love the family photo too!!!

Katy Cameron said...

Belated happy bloggiversary! Good luck blasting those little buggers out of the house soon! Love the running shoe bag and lunch al fresco :o)

memmens said...

What a great way to spend fathers day (and it wasn't raining!). Dare I ask if you have nay idea how you're going to quilt those little birdies?

Leanne said...

Happy Blogversary! I love the running shoes.

Gill said...

Happy Blogiversay!
What a great way to spend Father's Day!

Sarah Lou said...

Happy blogoversary! Sounds like a gorgeous weekend

Cindy said...

Good for you! Good for you! A finished birdie top! I am so excited!

The quilting is going to be a challenge. Do you have any ideas?

HillyFilly said...

Happy Blogiversary,,, Love the Running shoes... Embroidery is fab u lus Daaarrling......also very impressed your Dad is still running..... Mine (bless him..) is struggling to walk.. When did that happen, I've got aged parents - I must had been a 'late' child, not!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Congratulations of making the 1 year landmark!
Lots of lovelies there, and those birdies!

Lucky dads x

Catherine said...

happy 1 year anniversary. your day out on Sunday looks lovely

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

Happy Blogiversary to you! If I had known I would have sent you cake ;) But I probably would have eaten a little bit of it first because I love cake... Yay for you!

Cherie said...

Congratulations on making it to 1 year!
I would have posted some cake to you...in a well sealed box, so the postman couldn't steal it!
Looks like you had a fun day! Hah a facebook message poor you =D

Karen said...

Happy Blogiversary! Its hard to believe you have only been up & running a year - you're such a pro!!
Love your dads shoe bag - at least he'll know what its for (unlike mine who didn't grasp the significance of the cameras much to the amusement of my three teenagers!!!)

Christine said...

Happy blogoversary!

Kelly said...

Happy bloggiversary xx

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Oh congratulations!! How lovely to be one!
The shoe bag is really cool, love that stitching.
The birdie quilt is AMAZING and it will be so beautiful quilted, how in the heck are you quilting it??
The family pic is adorable :) x

Nicky said...

Happy Anniversary - have enjoyed getting to know you Emily! Specially receiving the lovely things you made me!

Your running shoes are truly fabulous, amazing! Ooh let's see more of that in the next year!

Wow on the birdy quilt - now just get it finished!

Indianna said...

Hope you had a happy day. Your fme shoes look fantastic and have given me an idea for a pressie.
The birdie quilt is really cute and a lot of effort, so hope you or one of your little ones will grow to love it.