Wednesday 10 August 2011

Recycled Goodness!

This week I have been really enjoying turning unwanted things into new treasures!


I picked up this East blouse from the charity shop because I loved the print but knew I would never wear that style of top, I was sure though that there would be enough fabric to make something.....


And there was! Ive been dying to try out the Gathered Clutch Tutorial from Noodlehead and as soon as I saw this on the rail in the shop I knew what I was doing with it. The fabric was quite thin so I added a heavy weight  interfacing and some cotton batting as I wanted my clutch to be quite robust. I had a little trouble with the tabs on the end of the zip but to be honest I think that was because I ended up working with quite a thickness of fabric. I will definitely make another as it sewed (is that even a word?!) up really quickly.

I also made myself a top from some charity shop finds


I adore this material, I think it is vintage? It was £1 for about a yard and a half uncut, a bargain I say! The lovely broderie lace edging also came from the charity shop for 40pence, the buttons were from a lovely big tin my Mother In Law handed onto me and are also vintage and the cotton thread was in a bag I brought from the charity shop a while back. So I think I can definitely and absolutely say this was indeed a top made entirely from re-loved items!

I used the Sorbetto Top Pattern from Colette, this is a brilliant free pattern you can print from your home pc onto A4 paper, perfect for when you need an instant dressmaking fix and don't have time to go out for a pattern (I'm not the only one who gets these? Right?)

I did find that the pattern needed some adjustment for my body shape but nothing too taxing, and I added sleeves. The pattern is great to work with, its simple, sews up quickly and uses such a minimal amount of fabric.

I have started working on a skirt to match my top but its lacking a zip and needs hemming but hopefully a photo soon, I may wear my new thrifty ensemble to the Festival of Quilts this Sunday (I am very  insanely excited about going to the NEC for a whole day of fabric buying and quilt Ooo-ing and Aaah-ing)

I also have another Sorbetto, this time a sleeveless version that sticks to the original pattern, although this time I had a go at smocking to give it some shape. Photos soon!

I also found a little time to run up some recent orders this week


Firstly my favourite kind of work, baby bunting! I love picking out the fabrics and matching them, my brief from Baby Julia's Mummy was bright vintage...hope this fits the bill for her and that Baby Julia has many happy hours looking at it.


And also a marathon sewing session was had making these 10, yes 10! slip covered notebooks for Vintage Green in Sidmouth.

I have LOTS of UFOs to be getting on with, in fact I have a sneaky suspicion they may be breeding whilst I'm asleep as I am sure I cannot be responsible for so many uncompleted projects! I am the woman who had a rule never to start something new until I finished the current project. I currently have the Birdie Stitches BOM, a vintage tea cosy that has a pattern printed on it to embroider, a crochet cushion cover, stitched pictures for the gallery as they are almost sold out, cake stands to drill and assemble, mittens to knit..................I'm off to dream up more projects to start and add to that list!

No comments: