Friday 30 September 2011

ATS Quilt Finish & A Winner!

I have finished my biggest ever quilt, I am so pleased with myself! Cue shameless amount of photos to show it off!

This is my take on a mans quilt. I always intended it to be for my dear hubby's Christmas present but I didn't realise how hard I would find it to make a manly quilt, hopefully the angular quilting has achieved that aim!

For the back I choose not to use the pieced option, but instead used a VERY heavy waffle knit blanket. I had been having real trouble sourcing a good colour match as out local quilt stores don't carry many solid lines. The colour of this blanket was perfect, I also felt it made it again more manly being chunky and heavy. Boy did it make it hard work quilting though! My machine coped fine, good old Pfaff, I on the other hand felt as if I had a carpet rolled up and slung over my shoulder for a good few hours! Good job I only made the baby size!


Across The Sea QAL
Greek crosses/scrappy border/binding : Swoon by Melissa Averinos for Andover Fabrics
Batting : Hobbs Heirloom 80/20
Straight Line/Squares Box quilting
Backing : Cotton Waffle Knit Blanket

So there it is, I am super proud of myself and cant wait to give it to him, why is Christmas so far off?!!!

Do you like the fabric line I used in the quilt, well, I have 3 FQ of Swoon and they are going to be winging their way to Isisjem, who Mr Random Number said was the winner!




Congratulations, I'll be mailing you soon! To everyone else, I hope you enjoy the rest of this beautiful day :)

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats! It looks fabulous! I can't believe you used batting AND a blanket to back it with! That's one thick quilt!

Canadian Abroad said...

It is going to be a fabulous Christmas present - if you can wait until then!

Congrats to the winner - whoever that may be.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Oh her again!! Not that I can talk! Well done Jan x

pippablue said...

The quilt looks great! and manly..lol. Great finish :)

Cindy said...

Well done! It's absolutely a man-quilt :) I love the quilting design you used. It really sets off the blocks. Great job!

Catherine said...

your quilt looks fantastic and i love the waffled back

Annabella said...

I do love your manly quilt..I`m just finishing the binding and then I`m done too. My quickest quilt ever! Congrats to Isisjem!

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs said...

Yay for Jan, another win! Your quilt is just fab, great job and your hubbie will love it!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

PS I love the Man-quilt!

Judith, Belfast said...

Congrats to Jan! Your quilt is stunning, and totally suitable for a guy! Jxo

Alli said...

I *love* the pattern you quilted on it! :)

Katy Cameron said...

Woohoo, well done! I need to finish mine this weekend - eek, hope I can manage to piece the back, baste it, quilt it and bind it in time!

Fiona @ Poppy Makes said...

Oh your quilt is fabulous! I LOVE the way you've quilted it! Must get working on mine, it's still backless!