Monday 19 September 2011

Old MacDonald Had a Farm....

Eee - i - eee - i - oooo!


I have been practising disappearing 9 patches with Moda's farmyard line. Its full of cute chickens and scarecrows :)

I used the fab tutorial from P.S. I Quilt which you can find here.  It runs up so quickly because you use a charm pack and all the pre-cutting is eliminated!. I used 3 blocks to make this cute little runner, which was really my practice run for the Table Runner Swap being held by Jenna over at SewHappyGeek. You can still sign up here.


I'm really glad that I did this practice run because now I get to keep it rather than having to tear myself off it to send to my partner!


I practiced more free motion quilting, my absolute favourite kind of quilting but I most certainly need the practice, it doesn't come naturally to me! The backing is a half yard of quilting cotton i've had in the stash for an age. I really never liked it and it seemed a good way to use it up, after all, I will never see the back as it will always be on the sideboard with the top only showing.


I was also very naughty and cheated with the binding. Rather than hand stitching it to the back I machine stitched it, meaning I ended up with a stitch line just next to my binding on the front. Nothing wrong with that but I defiantly prefer to hand stitched finish, I was just impatient to get it done and washed.


I love the fluffy crinkly effect you get from washing and tumbling a new quilt, especially when its all warm and snugly when it comes out of the dryer, this runner was no exception, despite its small size my daughter still attempted to wrap herself up in its snuglyness!



Old MacDonald's Disappearing 9 Patch Runner
September 2011
Moda Farmyard Charm Pack
Hobbs Heirloom 80/20
Free Motion Quilted

5 comments:

Alli said...

I'm with you on using up less-loved fabric for the back! Even though I like looking at other people's projects with beautiful fabric on the back, I can't bring myself to use pretty stuff on my own since they'll rarely see the light of day. :D

Cindy said...

It looks great! Your quilting is lovely and I think the fabric line is just charming. A table runner is a great way to use those goodies!

I know what you mean RE keeping the trial run for yourself. It's a great feeling when you finish off something new like this ;)

Katy Cameron said...

Ooh it's fab, love it! We were meant to practice though...? Oops!

Strawberry Patch said...

Katy, no I dont think we were meant to but I have never made a runner before and I have learnt from being in the mug rug swap its really hard to let go of the first thing you make of that kind. So I thought this way it would be easier for me haha!

Thanks for all your lovely comments girls, it means a lot to me :)

gibbygoo56 said...

So charming and sweet. I love it!