Wednesday 14 September 2011

Mug Rug and Goodies



I've been indulging in quite a bit of selfish sewing of late, those germs I thought I had turned out to be Glandular Fever :( So I've been very tired and the thought of trying to wrestle with my Across the Sea quilt just makes me sleepy so the quilting will have to wait a little longer there.

I have been working on small projects because I simply cant NOT sew, I am sure that would me me even more poorly haha! So getting my mug rugs done for my swap partners seemed like the prefect idea.

This being my first swap, I spent quite some time researching their tastes, stalking through their blogs and flikr profiles. Partner 1 gave me some interesting colour choices (mainly because my stash was virtually devoid of all of the colours she mentioned!) This is what I came up with.


There is a sneaky clue as to who it may be for with the initial on the rug, hope it doesn't give too much away! I really enjoyed planning this out and love the texture of the quilting. I cant stop stroking it but I guess I will have to as it needs to leave me soon and wing its way to its new home. As for the goodie to go with it, my partner popped a picture of a Needle book and a pincushion on her like mosaic, so instead of picking one to make I decided to make both! Well after all they go together don't they?!


For the pincushion I just used eight 2" squares and a couple of vintage buttons. You'd be amazed at home much wadding went in there though! (Apologies to the wee yellow birdies for being stabbed with pins!)


For the needle book I used this tutorial from Kelly Rachel, its really straightforward and easy to follow. Here is the back, how cute??!




And the inside, there are 2 pieces of felt, giving you four 'leaves' to pop your needles onto. The tutorial used one piece of fabric for the inside, I decided to piece mine so I was able to incorporate a couple of my partners colour choices. All I did was divide the pattern piece into 4 and add a 1/4 inch seam allowance into the edges of the pattern I had cut along, then cut the fabric using my new pattern pieces and joined the seams.


I think my partner will love them, judging from the feedback in the flikr group. If you want to see lots more goodies and rugs, have a look at the group here.

I'm off to finish up sewing the binding on Partner 2's rug whilst Baby J is still sleeping, I'll leave you with some pictures of my rainbow scrappy quilt that Ive promised for a while!




Scrappy Rainbow Quilt
August 2011
2" scrappy squares and log cabin border.
Quilted with rainbow lines and bubble quilting on border.
Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 Wadding.

5 comments:

Sheila said...

Your quilting on the rainbow quilt is amazing. Love the rugs and goodies, there are some fab things being made in this swap.
Hope you feel better soon.

pippablue said...

You poor thing! I had glandular fever years ago and it really knocked my socks off! Your mugrug and goodies for the swap are perfect. I especially love the envelope needle case. Hope you feel better soon!

Cindy said...

I really, really love what you made for the swap. Unique, fresh, beautiful and individual. They reflect both you and your partner. Well done! They're going to find happy, happy homes.

Feel better soon! xx

Katy Cameron said...

Love them all, especially that envelope needle book.

Hope you feel better soon!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Oh my, glandular fever and all these makes - you are a superstar xxx