Wednesday 7 September 2011

So, I have had germs :(

Well, that wasn't a great week! I have had the flu. Que violins and feeling sorry for myself! The positive side is that I decided that sewing would be the best form of recuperation and once I was well enough to get out of bed, sew I did and then some!

I finally got started on the Across The Sea Quilt along! I have been meaning to get going for weeks but I'm glad I held back as I decided to ditch my original fabric choice of Modas Farmyard as I though it may be too traditional looking for this modern quilt.


Instead I went and used my bargain Swoon by Melissa Averinos that I picked up for a song at FOQ


I only have the green and blue colourways and decided as I was making a baby size quilt with 12 blocks I would use my 6 blues and have a double of each. On Monday I got cutting and laid it out on my background to get a feel of what it would look like


I managed to get the background cut out later in the day too and chain piece some of the arms. Wow isn't chain piecing great! I'm so glad it was suggested.

On Tuesday I mostly stayed in my pj's all day feeling sorry for myself, but today, oh man have I sewn!
I got all the chain piecing done and then made up all the blocks


then feeling motivated I got on and put the blocks together, so far so good. This is my first real attempt at any kind of precision piecing and I'm so glad I 'treated' myself to that 1/4 inch foot!


And THEN and baby J was STILL asleep I managed to piece the scrappy border, add it and the plain border and TADAH - the quilt top was finished! Off I trot outside to take some scrummy pictures.....


But the weather had other ideas lol.....


I kept waiting for a lull in the breeze but it never came so indoors I went to take a decent picture!


Then I popped up to the local quilt shop (about a 5 minute walk from my house, heaven!) and brought the batting and backing fabric. They didn't have anything that jumped out for the backing so I brought Calico and I am going to dye it (I think!)

So, that's a major leap forward on the to-do list. Tonight I have been researching my deadlines/partner preferences for the Japanese Scrap Bag Challenge and the Mug Rug and Goodie Swap. I'm hoping to get these made up next week, I have a big weekend coming up as I am taking Strawberry Patch to the 10 Parishes Festival in Somerset!


6 comments:

memmens said...

Wow impressed to see the Swoon in use, mine is looking good on the shelf at the moment!
Hope you're feeling much better for the trip to Somerset.

Katy Cameron said...

Love your quilt top, it came out beautifully.

I'm feeling really quite cr@p right now too - colleague donated horrible cold, the air con at work died, and next to the office they're demolishing an old breezeblock extension and sandblasting, so coughing my lungs up too.

Hope you feel better soon!

Cindy said...

oh no! I hope you feel better super soon! It can take ages to feel yourself again. A few days sewing (and a nice weekend) will do you good!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Man, you did good for feeling poorly!!

Rhonda the Rambler said...

I hope you feel better soon. I have asked the Lord to touch your body!

Sheila said...

Youe quilt top is looking great - glad it didn't blow away!!