Monday 8 October 2012

Bee-autiful!!

I'm playing at being Queen for a day a month in the Modern Stitching Bee.

This is my first ever time as a queen bee and the possibility of all those blocks I could get my wonderful bee mates to make me was just overwhelming!

I did finally settle on a block design however


I was mostly motivated by my jealousy of everyone else's stashes, that and my love of stars! I was worried about how lots of blocks made from potentially different white solids would work together....I know from the birdie stitches quilt that even a subtle variation in white can be quite obvious when a top is assembled. The perfect solution was to reverse the block, having the star in white. This way the different white will not be next to each other AND I get a little bit of everyone's gorgeous fabrics to swoon over!

I have some amazing bee mates, they are very talented, funny and sweet. My first blocks arrived on Saturday from my friend Nicky, the 6th of the month no less, wasn't she quick off the mark! And they look splendid with my test blocks too :-)




I found time at the weekend for a little solitary stitching and managed to almost make my Nan's birthday present, bar putting in the ribbon (a lined drawstring bag using Jeni's tutorial). More on that soon when it is completed....I also finished off the panel for the front of my Mouthy Stitches 2 tote, the rest of the pieces are cut


I am hoping to quilt and assemble the bag later this week once I have some pennies to buy the batting, I seemed to have cleared my bank account out on Saturday at noon ;-)


10 comments:

Pam said...

I know that feeling, penniless, I went to my LQS on Saturday. It ahs been up for sale for some time now and I was dismayed to see a closing down sale notice in the window. Any way, I found the fabric that I was looking for, I also found several more that needed rescuing in 2 metre lengths. Lucky my muscle was with me, it is amazing how much 15 pieces of fabric weighs.

Sarah said...

Ooh blocks so far look good. Want me to do one big then a vertical strip of three with a wee star, and then the other 6 with a wee star? So you have the opportunity to mix it up a bit?

Katy Cameron said...

Loving the blocks, I just did a supersize one of these for Susan for Stitch Tease. Love the front of that tote too, and I know just what you mean about the bank account...

Nicky said...

Only quick because I had just finished my bee blocks from the previous month at the last minute and thought I should try harder! Also was excited to try out this variation!

The MS2 bag front looks brilliant!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Love your bee blocks and the bag is looking great! I'm jealous of your ticket - you'll have to find a new bff next year :(

Kelly said...

Love those bee blocks and you MS tote front!! I shall be joining you at the FQR x

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Love it all - especially the ticket!

Jenelle said...

The blocks look amazing so far! This will be a beautiful quilt. Have fun in London! :)

Canadian Abroad said...

So pleased you got your golden ticket already. The blocks are brilliant and looks so good all lined up together. It is going to be a gorgeous quilt!

Cindy said...

Happy happy happy! Happy blocks, happy tickets, happy tote.