Thursday 11 October 2012

Watch out, here comes the 'C' word....

yep.....Christmas!!!!!

I have been getting into the festive mood early this year, a couple of weeks ago a friend came over for a little workshop to make an advent calender. She had seen mine, made quite a few years ago, and fancied one for her own little family


I taught her how to cut her fabric, baste, free machine quilt and bind....all in a morning! She hadn't used a sewing machine since school. She was very happy and I was very relieved that it went well!

In fact she enjoyed herself so much she is coming back next weekend for another go and this time she is bringing other ladies with her! I decided I had better make another sample, something a bit more professional looking! The one above was made before I had 'learnt' how to free machine quilt or put on binding so it was all 'made-up' leaving the finish a little lacking.


This time I used a quilt as you go method and made little pockets for each day, I finally got to try out one of the fancy stitches on my new machine too. I just love the blanket stitch, I have always wanted a machine with this and I got a kick out of sewing on every single one of these 24 pockets, honest!!

I have yet to decide whether to add a pot to the bottom of this calender.

So mince pies, mulled wine and Michael Buble (just the CD, not the man unfortunately) on standby, we'll be pretending its Christmas next Saturday!

14 comments:

Charlotte said...

that's so cute!

Sarah Lou said...

Gorgeous! I'd love a calendar like that :D

Lucy | Charm About You said...

well done both of you! sounds like it'll be a lot of fun!

Kelly said...

That is a very swish advent calendar!

Liz DandeliondD said...

Great advent calendar. I seriously need to make one of these. I saw an awful cardboard Moshi Monsters one in the toy shop today for 24 quid!

Canadian Abroad said...

You are obviously a fab teacher!!

Catherine said...

what a fabulous calendar

Cherie said...

They are such cute calenders! It's so much better to make your own! =D

Second Chance Tan said...

Fab - it's great to sew with other people isn't it... I love the idea of getting the Christmas CD's out now while making Christmas things!!!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

So great I will forgive the early festivities!

Annabella said...

Ditto Hadley's comment but love the early celebrations - you'll be one of those people having their Christmas tree up all year soon ;-)

Mrs A. said...

I made two last year for my Grandsons and need to make one again this year for my Granddaugther who is aware now of what the 'C' word is all about.I orderd the material last week which has arrived so must get started on it. Yor tree shape is fab. Hugs Mrs A.

Celtic Thistle said...

I don't think this is too early to be thinking about Advent Calendars, as you need them for December 1st, you have an excuse for thinking about them early!

Yay! for getting to try out new stitches too :)

Katy Cameron said...

I might have to disown you for using that word! Over here we're surrounded by all things halloween right now, that's as far ahead as I care to think ;o)