Wednesday 3 October 2012

Secret Perv

I forgot to mention that I'm taking part in the Pervalong with Charlotte. Perhaps it is because I really don't have time for starting yet another new project, perhaps it is because I feel guilty getting new fabric for a project that isn't necessary when we are broke. But Charlotte was so lovely helping me work out how to supplement my Oakshott Bundle in the cheapest way I just couldn't resist perving too!

I made up my first two sections last night, not knowing I was on the cusp of coming down with an almighty cold (seriously how can a cold not be there one minute and be full blown an hour later!). I did struggle a little, I think it was the germs though, I had to unpick one seam, not great with a 1.5 stitch length and Oaskhott which is quite thin and frays easily! I also noticed when photographing it today that I forgot to trim down one of the seam allowances and I can see it showing through, oops!

Still, this is a very big departure from my usual piecing, although I am comfortable paper piecing this solids and style really are making it feel like I am doing something completely new which is fun!


I am really looking forward to getting more of the darker colours on this and seeing how they play together, it is reminding me of a sort of 'red sky at night.... Shepards delight' implosion - hopefully you'll see what I mean as I add more of the red and crimson solids.

The Quilt Group coffee morning was nice (got I hate that word!) lets just say the cake and tea were delicious, the quilts less to my taste and the fabric on offer even less so! It was nice to get out and see some new faces, I was the youngest there by about 30 years I'd say! But unless I take a sudden liking for needle turn and frumpy fabrics I don't think I am going to be a regular! That said the principle of quilting is the same not matter what fabric you use so I have said I will join them for a meeting in January when Juliette starts pre-school full days, they've asked me to bring some of my quilts for show and tell, I wonder what they'd make of Perv?!!!!

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Ooh I bet you'll become the star quilter...

Gertie Pye said...

This is very shepherd's delight! You are ahead of me - I have still to cut my foundation papers!

Didn't know Oakshotts frayed a lot - I was thinking about buying some to make a top or skirt out of one of the Liparis. I will have to enlist the help of my overlocker!

Izzy said...

Oh wow - how beautiful! Love the colours and can't wait to see the darker ones added!

Nat at Made in Home said...

I love the start of your Pervalong! I was wondering whether I would be the youngest one if I was to join a quilt group... but maybe it does not matter.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

you do make me giggle!! It's looking great and I love the colours :)

Charlotte said...

it's so lovely!!! I can't wait to see how it comes together!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Oh I so dare you to take the perv and call it that too!!

Kelly said...

Now you have to go and show them your perv!!

It looks fab!

Annabella said...

Chuckling at your description of the quilt meeting...I can just imagine, and adore your pervy quilt!

Jenelle said...

I must have been living under a rock lately because I am in the dark about this Perv-A-Long. What exactly is the context of the word perv here? ;)

P.S. It's gorgeous btw!

Katy Cameron said...

I always suspected you were a bit of a perv ;o) Love the colours you're perving with!

Nicky said...

teehee good for Emily! Perv along with Charlotte! Maybe you could pervert the quilt group to a more modern style - or attract a whole new group of quilters!