Tuesday 9 October 2012

Spitting Feathers

I have a very important family party coming up next month....a 50th Wedding Anniversary and I wanted to make the special couple (Graham's Aunt and Uncle) something very special too.


I was highly influenced by this beautiful picture I saw on Facebook, adding in the crazy patchwork border to make it a mini quilt. 

I decided that this mini needed some really special quilting, feathers infact, because they are lets say, an older couple, I thought the more traditional feathers would be perfect. That and I am obsessed with getting them right!

I stippled the centre of the quilt and feather quilted the outer border with hearts in each corner. This is where the spitting begins. I am VERY pleased with my feathers, smug in fact. BUT I am really annoyed they are not more prominent, all that effort and they are barely visible.



I have decided that it is the scale that is causing the problem, if the stippling has been much smaller and tighter the feathers would have stood out more perhaps?

Watch out, shameless boasting of feathers coming, which are best viewed from the back, honestly!








Oh well, hopefully they will still like it and appreciate the work that has gone into into it. Next time, better feathers and an exercise in learning to be less self-critical!!

13 comments:

Gertie Pye said...

This is so pretty! And such a personal gift. I'm sure they will love it x

linda said...

it is beautiful Emily i am sure they will love it the quilting is lovely i wish i could do as well as that gorgeous !!

Nicky said...

Plain borders might have helped Emily but it is all so pretty and to be discovered over time by the recipients! What fun for them to discover layer on layer all the work you have done for them!

moira said...

It is lovely and those on the receiving end will not even think anything else. Maybe a different coloured thread for the feathers next time?

Lucy | Charm About You said...

That's beautiful! Fantastic feathers!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Those feathers looks great! What an original present. I love it!

Canadian Abroad said...

Great quilt and the feathers are impressive. I've never tried and tend to stick to my few FMQ tried and true tricks. Silly me.

Sheila said...

Brilliant quilting Emily, I have never been brave enough to try them either.

Catherine said...

wow, well done on the feathers: I think they look amazing and what a lovely personal gift

Kelly said...

Great gift and your feathers are glorious, even if they don't stand out ;-)

Cherie said...

It looks great! I'm sure in the right light they will be more noticeable. A nice idea for a gift =D

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Bloody awesome quilting x

Katy Cameron said...

It all looks fab, and love the feathers